It seems like half the fun of having a pool comes from sharing it with others, which is why an upcoming birthday becomes the perfect excuse for a pool party. What theme should you choose for your child’s birthday party? And what are some ideas for carrying the theme throughout the event?
Ideas for Your Own Pool Party
The truth is that there are dozens, if not hundreds, of party theme ideas. You can choose favorite characters out of movies, television, or literature, or pick a place or time. Here are a few suggestions:
- Beach party. Turn your backyard into the seashore by decorating with seashells and filling a kiddie pool with sand for building castles. White paper lanterns with shredded white crepe paper “legs” will look like clusters of jellyfish, and fishing nets filled with “glass float” balloons will bring a festive touch. Inflatable beach balls and sea creatures will liven up the pool itself. Ocean blue punch, sugar cookies cut and frosted to look like starfish, and goldfish crackers all make great snacks. Cheap sunglasses, flip-flops, and beach towels not only offer comfort to guests but can serve as party favors, too.
- Mermaids. A perennial favorite of little girls everywhere, your theme can simply be mermaids or could focus on Disney’s The Little Mermaid. If your party involves little boys, as well, change the theme to Peter Pan and bring pirates and Tiger Lily’s tribe to the scene, too. Incorporate beach-themed décor or purchase actual Disney character items to bring the theme to life. Ruffled satin ribbon can be made into a “seaweed” garland as a backdrop to party or a great place for picture taking. Cupcake frosting topped with brown sugar “sand” and Swedish fish will bring a smile to anyone’s face.
- Surfing/Luau. Bring out the Hawaiian shirts, inflatable palm trees, tiki torches, and cardboard cut-outs of brightly colored surf boards. This is one theme where every bit of tacky, obnoxious kitsch you can find will only add to the fun and excitement. Pulled pork sliders, fresh cut pineapple, and anything with coconut will delight your guests, as will a soundtrack that includes the Beach Boys and Dick Dale and the Del-Tones.
- Fourth of July/Americana. For a summer birthday, picking the nearest holiday as a theme is not a bad idea. Decorate your pool area with red, white, and blue bunting, American flags, red gingham tablecloths, and anything else that strikes your fancy. Traditional barbecue fare like burgers, hot dogs, potato salad, and corn on the cob will be an easy and familiar spread for friends and family to enjoy.
So Many Themes, So Few Pool Parties to Throw
Those are just the tip of the iceberg. Other themes you might consider:
- Jaws/Shark Week
- Great Gatsby/Roaring 20s
- Huckleberry Finn
- Finding Nemo
- Spongebob Squarepants
- Cruise ship
- Sports teams
- Summer Olympics
- 1950s/sock hop
- Specific sea creature, such as seahorses, squids, etc.
ABOUT ELITE POOLS & SPAS
For over 20 years, Elite Pools & Spas have been providing new pool construction, pool remodels, pool repair and weekly maintenance services for Houston, League City, Pearland, Clear Lake & surrounding areas.
Elite Pools & Spas of Houston can work with almost any budget and give you a personalized vision of your very own backyard paradise. Whether you need new pool construction or remodeling services, Elite Pools provides the same quality and attention to detail to all of their projects. As a Hayward Warranty Station, they offer energy efficient pool products for your pool & spa.
For more Houston Pools and Spa updates subscribe to their blog and YouTube Channel or ‘Like’ them on Facebook. You can also check their client testimonials to learn more about the exceptional services they provide.
Ready to get started on your own backyard oasis? Contact the Houston pool builder experts at Elite Pools and Spas today!