Summer is finally here, and the backyards of pool owners are filled with the laughing, splashing and sounds of sheer delight that their pool brings. Undoubtedly your pool is getting a lot more action these days than during those cooler months, so if you’re wondering how to maintain a pool in the summer, we have your answers. The first step for how to maintain a pool:
Check The Pool Water Chemistry Often
During the winter months when your pool is getting a lot less traction, you can get away with checking the pool water chemistry once a week. However, during the summer months, checking the pool at least two to three times a week is a good idea. Even if the pool hasn’t gotten much use, the stronger UV rays from the sun can speed up the growth of nasty bacteria and algae.
- pH Levels: Make sure that the pH of the pool remains anywhere between 7.2 and 7.8, with anywhere around 7.4 being the most ideal.
- Total Alkalinity: Maintain pool water alkalinity between 80-140 ppm
- Total Dissolved Solids (TDS): This as well as calcium should be checked every 6 months
How to Clean a Pool During the Summer
Just as you’ll be checking that pool water chemistry more often, it’s a good idea to perform daily checks of the pool to keep it clean. If the pool water chemistry is balanced, then you’ll only need to do quick cleaning duties every few days, such as:
- Checking and cleaning the skimmer baskets as necessary
- Cleaning out your pump’s hair or lint pump
- Check you water levels at least once a month, but check it more frequently if you have some major splashers playing in the pool or are having a particularly hot month (this can increase water evaporation)
As a final tip, remember that with increased usage that the filter will also likely need to be run more frequently. Generally speaking, six hours is the minimum, but for greater accuracy, you can calculate how long it takes for your pool to filter all of the water of the pool 2-3 times a day.
ABOUT ELITE POOLS & SPAS
For over 20 years, Elite Pools & Spas have been providing new pool construction, pool remodels, pool repair and weekly maintenance services for Houston, League City, Pearland, Clear Lake & surrounding areas.
Elite Pools & Spas of Houston can work with almost any budget and give you a personalized vision of your very own backyard paradise. Whether you need new pool construction or remodeling services, Elite Pools provides the same quality and attention to detail to all of their projects. As a Hayward Warranty Station, they offer energy efficient pool products for your pool & spa.
For more Houston Pools and Spa updates subscribe to their blog and YouTube Channel or ‘Like’ them on Facebook. You can also check their client testimonials to learn more about the exceptional services they provide.
Ready to get started on your own backyard oasis? Contact the Houston pool builder experts at Elite Pools and Spas today!