Use your Houston swimming pool for more than just relaxing with family! These senior swim exercises are a great way to stay fit in your own backyard.
One of the biggest myths believed today is that seniors, because of their age, somehow get a “pass” to be less active. While seniors do face unique challenges when it comes to exercising, the pool is a fantastic place for anyone of any age to get in a fantastic work out.
Here’s how you can take advantage of this aquatic version of the triangle:
- Stand so that you are one arm’s length away from the wall.
- Hold out your right arm and have your right fingers touching the wall.
- Spread your legs so that they are close to 3 feet apart.
- Raise your left arm and bend it over your head so that it is arched towards your right arm. Push your left foot down and hold the pose for three breaths.
- Repeat for the other side.
To do this exercise, all you’ll need is a pool noodle or a similar floating device that you’ll be able to fit around your foot. Then, to start:
- Take your right leg and bend it at the knee (create a 90-degree angle), raising it so that your upper thigh becomes parallel with the water.
- Place the water noodle around the bottom of your foot and then push it down until your leg is straight. Then, slowly and smoothly allow your leg to rise, and then bend your leg again at a 90-degree angle.
- Repeat anywhere from 10 to 15 times, and then switch to the other leg.
To perform this exercise, you’ll need to get a bit deeper into the water. Move into an area where the water will be up to your neck as you stand next to the edge of the pool. Then:
- Stand so that one foot is in front of you and the other behind (this will help keep you balanced and stabilized).
- Extend your arms out from your side, keeping them just below the top of the water. With your arms straight, keep your palms down and begin to make circular motions, going faster and making tighter circles as you go.
- Do this for up to 15 seconds, and then reverse the direction and complete for another 15 seconds.
ABOUT ELITE POOLS & SPAS
For over 20 years, Elite Pools & Spas have been providing new pool construction, pool remodels, pool repair and weekly maintenance services for Houston, League City, Pearland, Clear Lake & surrounding areas.
Elite Pools & Spas of Houston can work with almost any budget and give you a personalized vision of your very own backyard paradise. Whether you need new pool construction or remodeling services, Elite Pools provides the same quality and attention to detail to all of their projects. As a Hayward Warranty Station, they offer energy efficient pool products for your pool & spa.
For more Houston Pools and Spa updates subscribe to their blog and YouTube Channel or ‘Like’ them on Facebook. You can also check their client testimonials to learn more about the exceptional services they provide.
Ready to get started on your own backyard oasis? Contact the Houston pool builder experts at Elite Pools and Spas today!