Pool construction is often a mystery to anyone who hasn’t gone through it, and even those who had a pool built 10 or 20 years ago are unfamiliar with current construction standards, timelines and processes. Stay in the loop by familiarizing yourself with these 12 common misconceptions about pool construction:
- Pool Construction Takes Months – We’ve all heard the nightmare stories, but this simply isn’t true. Your pool can be built in a matter of weeks (i.e. concrete and a complicated pool design) or even a matter of days (fiberglass).
- Inground Pools are Too Expensive – Though above ground pools are the less expensive option, an inground pool built by an expert may very well be the most economical choice for most homeowners.
- Licensing Is Required for Pool Builders – Sadly, anyone (including homeowners) can build their own pool, which leads to many less than reputable pool companies disappointing innocent and unassuming homeowners with their shoddy workmanship.
- Permits Are Not Required for Home Owners – This couldn’t be less true. Homeowners certainly need a permit, and your swimming pool builder should be able to better advise you on obtaining a permit.
- The Swimming Pool Builder Guarantee Lasts After the Business Collapses – False! If your pool builder goes under, any guarantees that are with them directly will no longer be valid (product guarantees, however, will likely still be valid until the time they expire).
- Pools are a Great DIY Project – Inground pools, and even above ground pools, are best built and handled by a professional. Try to do it yourself and you’re bound to suffer harsh economical setbacks and personal disappointments over the next several years.
- Pools Require Too Much Maintenance – Not even close! As long as the homeowner is equipped with the right stuff and properly maintains the pool every week, maintenance can take as little as 10 minutes every week.
- Pools Need to be Closed for Winter – This is an individual choice rather than a requirement. If you plan on leaving town or not using your pool over the fall or winter, then by all means close it – but continue to maintain it in the meantime.
- Emptying the Pool is Part of Regular Maintenance – Absolutely not! In fact, most pool builders will strongly advise pool owners against emptying their pools as it can cause irreparable damage to their pool’s structure.
- A Clean Pool Smells like Chlorine – Not even close. If your pool has a strong “chlorine” smell, then it’s likely full of chloramines and needs to be cleaned via shocking.
- Pools are Expensive to Operate – Undoubtedly a pool will increase your bills, but it doesn’t need to be by leaps and bounds. Today there are a number of energy efficient pumps to select from and that can be added during or after pool construction, as well as solar-heating pool covers to help cut back on any heating costs.
About Elite Pools & Spas
For over 20 years, Elite Pools & Spas have been providing new pool construction, pool remodels, pool repair and weekly pool maintenance services for Houston, League City, Pearland, Clear Lake and the surrounding areas.
Elite Pools & Spas of Houston can work with almost any budget and give you a personalized vision of your very own backyard paradise. Whether you need new pool construction or remodeling services, Elite Pools provides the same quality and attention to detail to all of their projects. As a Hayward Warranty Station, we offer energy-efficient pool products for your pool & spa.
For more Houston Pools and Spa updates subscribe to our blog and YouTube Channel or ‘Like’ us on Facebook. You can also check our client testimonials to learn more about the exceptional services we provide.
Ready to get started on your own backyard oasis? Contact the Houston pool builder experts at Elite Pools and Spas today!